BUK Original - Gluten Free/Grain Free
BUK Original (Gluten-free & Grain free)
Ingredients: organic sprouted buckwheat, filtered REVERSE OSMOSIS water, organic flax seed, organic dates, organic cassava flour, organic extra virgin olive oil, organic apple cider vinegar, organic raisins, yeast, organic cultured buckwheat, psyllium husks, sunflower lecithin, sea salt, vitamin C.
The Good Stuff:
- All natural preservative system
- 22 g* of Sprouted Buckwheat Seed
- 5 g* of Fiber (Good Source of Fiber, 18% DVI)
- 5 g* of Protein (Good Source of Protein, 10% DVI)
- Rich in Vitamin C (100 mg*)
- 1000 mg* Omega-3 Fatty Acids
- 1.0 g* Monounsaturated Fat
- 10+ day Shelf Life***
Description: Our "Original Gluten-Free Grain-Free Bread" is a great tasting bread, uniquely made with sprouted buckwheat seed. It has been specifically formulated to have less sugar and salt than most comparable gluten bread and considerably more protein than most gluten-free bread. Net Weight: 2 LBS, Servings: 16 slices, Serving Size: 57g = one slice, See additional information and footnotes below.
8.6% of our Original's total calories come from sugars from fruit, That's It. Compare Dave's Killer Bread 21 Grain & Seed bread - the nation's best-selling organic bread which has 16.7% of its total calories coming from total sugar. Calorie for calorie, the Original has 48% fewer calories from sugar.
What about Bad Stuff & Allergens?
- Low in Sodium (140mg*). Note: Excessive salt consumption is a serious health problem among western consumers. See discussion in footnotes below.
- Low in Saturated Fat (0.5g*)
- No Xanthan Gum or other strange gums or emulsifiers; No Dairy or Soy; No Nuts, Peanuts, or Wheat; No Artificial Preservatives; No Cane Sugar, Beet Sugar, Molasses, or Fructose Syrups; 0g* Cholesterol; 0g* Trans Fat.
- Contains Buckwheat.
Important Nutritional Footnotes & Disclosures
* All amounts are for a single 57g slice of bread serving.
** Sugar Calorie Disclosure. This bread has 8.6 % of total calories from sugar versus 16.7% for "Dave's 21" and still tastes fantastic. Health professionals around the world are finally awakening to the reality of what the World Health Organization and many other medical associations have been saying for decades - that sugar in excess of 10% of your daily calories will undermine your health. Unfortunately, because of powerful political forces, the FDA even today has no guidance on total sugar consumption despite 25% of our retired US population suffering from debilitating type 2 diabetes. Not surprising, therefore, sugar is used excessively by the mainstream food industry, because sugar makes "bad food" "taste better." Ojai Natural Foods believes the food industry must show more restraint and provide consumer's better guidance as it relates to the use and consumption of sugar. Because of our commitment to good health and nutrition, we go to great lengths to develop and distribute great tasting food products with the least amount of sugar.
Shelf Life. Ojai Natural Foods' gluten-free products are formulated with natural ingredients to achieve a relatively long shelf-life and do so without a lot of salt (sodium) or artificial additives. To address food safety and microbial concerns, we rely on (a) Vitamin C added at levels unheard of in gluten baking, (b) the antibacterial properties of certain short and medium chain fatty acids naturally occurring in our ingredients, and (c) various organic acids naturally occurring in our ingredients like lemon juice, apple cider vinegar, cultured wheys and flours, and dried fruit like raisins and prunes. We use salt in our bread product for flavor and to assists with preservation but limit levels to qualify as low sodium.
Fatty Acids. 32% of the calories from our Original - Gluten Free Bread are from Fat. This percentage is "in-line" with the 35% target for fats implied by FDA 2018 nutritional guidelines for macronutrients. Ojai Natural Foods, like many others, believes that many of American's dietary issues with fats stem not so much from the consumption of too much fat, but from the excessive consumption of the wrong types of fats - mainly (a) saturated fats (found mainly in animal fats and dairy) and (b) certain polyunsaturated fatty acids found in a high percentage "modern vegetable oils" that are commonly used because they are cheap and have an unnaturally long shelf life. Many researchers believe there is nothing inherently dangerous about these polyunsaturated fats, provided they are balanced with other types of fatty acids. That is why Buk Gluten-Free Breads are formulated with the following guiding principles - first, to be "Low in Saturated Fats" as such term is used and regulated by the FDA, and second, for the majority of the fats in our products to be a combination of mono-unsaturated and omega-3 fatty acids.
Analysis of Protein. 14% of the calories in our Original - Gluten Free Bread are from proteins. While this protein-calorie percentage is in-line with gluten wheat-based bread, this bread has twice the protein-calories percentage of Schars' Artisan Baker Multigrain Bread (a very popular GF bread) which has only 7% of its calories coming from protein.
- Gluten-Free. Consistent with FDA guidance, our gluten-free products contain less the 10 parts per million of gluten.
- FDA Regulated Food Claim. "Good source of" means that a serving will provide 10% or more of the FDA recommended daily amount of the referenced nutrient.
- California residents. Click here for Prop 65 warning.
- Low in Sodium. This bread, like most all Ojai Natural Foods' bread qualify for the FDA regulated nutritional claim - "low in sodium." The association between sodium and chronic health issues is extensively documented. Unfortunately, because of (a) the efficacy of salt as a processed food preservative, (b) the addictive qualities to salty foods and snacks, and (c) the lack of imagination and discipline exhibited by mainstream food companies when formulating food products, most westerners consume excessive amounts of sodium, even if they never add table salt to their food. The US Government ((see https://health.gov/DietaryGuidelines/) recommends limiting the Daily Sodium Intake to 2,300 mg for adults and children less than 14 years and older and 1,500mg for individuals with hypertension and prehypertension. They also call for increased availability of affordable, nutritious food options that have lower sodium. Unfortunately, mainstream foods have horrible amounts of sodium. For instance:
- 1/2 lb. Red or Green Burrito at Del Taco - more than 1/2 the daily limit for an adult.
- A Kid burger, Kid fries and a milk at Taco Bell - more than 1/2 the daily limit for a young child.